[Coral-List] Save the date - Intl. Scuba Diving Sustainability Workshop - 19-21 October

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 17 11:31:35 UTC 2018

Alex

> “I think what will change attitudes in the leadership of the diving industry is mortality. “

Perhaps it is the mounting evidence of the mortality of coral reefs themselves that will ultimately change the American dive industry’s attitudes.

You know we’ve talked about Asian and European scuba industries being ahead of their American peers, but let’s not forget Australia. It seems to me that many high-profile scientists and conservation groups there have shown a heroic willingness to step up and challenge the status quo.

From what I have read, the tourist industry in Australia (including scuba) was initially quite hostile to the attention drawn to the plight of the GBR. (I remember hearing about particularly hateful reactions leveled at Terry Hughes for example).
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/13/great-barrier-reef-tourism-spokesman-attacks-scientist-over-slump-in-visitors

Now, it appears that attitudes may be changing.

The Reef tourism industry in Far North Queensland has since issued a formal declaration demanding strong action be taken to protect the GBR from the impacts of climate change.
Here’s the full statement from The Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators (AMPTO):

REEF TOURISM CLIMATE DECLARATION
We love the Great Barrier Reef.

As Reef tourism businesses operating in the World Heritage area, we take seriously our responsibility to look after one of the world’s most beautiful and biologically rich ecosystems.

Together we’re calling for bold action to protect this natural icon.

We cannot understate the economic contribution of Reef tourism. The Reef is a magnet for people from Australia and around the world and generates $6 billion each year and sustains 64,000 jobs.

Despite the negative press, the Reef is a dynamic, vibrant, awesome place. But, like coral reefs around the world, it is under serious threat.

Climate change, mainly driven by burning coal and other fossil fuels, is the single biggest threat to the Great Barrier Reef. The carbon pollution from coal, oil and gas is heating the air and the oceans to dangerous levels. Coral reefs around the world were damaged during an unprecedented marine heatwave in 2016 and 2017.

It’s not too late to save our Reef but time is critical.

The federal government has a responsibility to honour the Paris Agreement and protect the Reef on behalf of all Australians, all humanity and future generations. Yet our representatives continue to support the expansion of coal and gas, including Adani’s mega coal mine.

To give our Reef the best chance for the future, Australia must join the rest of the world to rapidly phase out coal and other fossil fuels and transition to renewable energy.

We call on all our political leaders to stand up for Far North QLD businesses and jobs and fight for the future of our Reef.

It seems to me that this signed position statement indicates that instead of killing the messenger, the dive/tourism industry (at least in this part of Australia) has come to understand that it is in their best interest to embrace the science and work together in a concerted effort to save both the GBR and their economic future. It’s too bad that it took a long, hard look at catastrophic bleaching events to bring this on, but maybe, (just maybe), the American scuba diving industry can learn something from developments down under.

Warm regards,

Steve

Sent from my iPad