[Coral-List] Comments on two recent threads.

John Ware jware at erols.com
Thu Sep 20 14:33:34 UTC 2018

Dear List,

I have held off for quite a while but now I want to mention some things
that have been on my (admittedly) engineering mind with regard to two
recent threads:

1- With regard to current papers not acknowledging previous work, the
following is, I think, an excellent example.  Bob Buddemeier and Daphne
Fautin published the paper "Coral bleaching as an adaptive mechanism: a
testable hypothesis" in 1993 (BioScience 43(5) 320-326).  At the time
this was a remarkable insight and was the subject of considerable
controversy and even led to substantial debate at a special conference
on the topic organized by Ove Hoegh-Guldberg (June 2005 in Puerto
Morales where I defended the ABH because Bob and Daphne could not be
there).  Now there are hundreds of papers (it seems) looking at
speciation in zooks and related topics that do not mention Bob and Daphne.

2- I have a number of reservations with regard to "reef restoration",
but I will only mention one with regard to the word "restoration".  To
me “restoration” implies at least two things: 1- you know what the reefs
was like before whatever problem you are trying to recover from
occurred; 2- you are going to restore, not just those easy to propagate
Acropora sp, but all the species that were there including other hard
corals,  sponges, soft corals, etc etc.  I see no evidence in the
"restoration" literature that the goal is to "restore".

Just my 2 cents worth.

John

--

  John R. Ware, PhD
  President
  jware at erols.com
  http://www.seaservices.org

   Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
   http://www.coralreefs.org