[Coral-List] three coral articles in Nature

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Apr 4 18:16:23 UTC 2019

Thanks Doug. It is always interesting when someone identifies such a large
and distinct group of organisms in corals. This is very far from my
expertise, so I'm asking what the significance (other than simple
knowledge) of greater complexity) of these corallicolids might be. I noted
the mention of parasites, which usually suggests a negative influence.
There also appears to be a discussion of evolutionary parallels.

So, my big question is what we should be thinking about with respect to the
ecological role of these newly found compounds/organisms in reef corals.
This is totally a question born out of ignorance, so nothing else should be
read into it.... inquiring minds just want to know and understand.

Anyone can feel free to reply offline, but I suspect that I'm not the only
one in the dark who would be interested in knowing whether this is an
interesting phenomenon or one that needs to be on all of our radar screens
as we think about coral/reef ecology with or without recent climate shifts.

Best,

Dennis

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <