[Coral-List] "dead corals don't make babies"

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:02:48 UTC 2019

Regarding Doug's post "dead corals don't make babies".

Could it be more that Isolated coral colonies and mono-clonal stands don't
make babies?  Many of us agree that this is what happened with the demise
of Caribbean acroporids, and why the larvae of A. cervicornis have been as
rare as hen's teeth for decades.   GBR reef community..... welcome to our
world.

As far as interventions, should restoration efforts focus less on the
numbers of out-plants and more on the restoration of sexual function among
the surviving corals?  This might be accomplished by cross transplanting
between single genet stands, or by incorporation of maximum genetic
diversity (species by species) within restoration patches- in order to
optimize spawning potential.

Might the Caribbean offer a window into the future of the GBR, as well as
lessons on how we might reverse the trends?

We are all in this together- thanks for all that you do.

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods for the Future
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.facebook.com/C4Conservation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009j6wb
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods Farm
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji
https://www.facebook.com/teiteifarmstay
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/