[Coral-List] Coral Fragging should be banned

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Thu Apr 11 20:41:16 UTC 2019

I very much appreciate and agree with this Chad.  I think this is actually
a bigger problem than many of us might realize.  Our work has shown
negative effects, especially on fish - which of course is important to the
communities there, of 'weedy' corals that dominate a reef.  By propagating
corals, especially those that grow quickly, well meaning people may well be
causing problems.  Kind of like Junipero Serra spreading all his fast
growing weedy european grasses and plants to mark his trail and fed
livestock.  Wow, look what that did to California coastal communities!!! If
you aren't a CA person - the short story is it wasn't good.

I too have now seen several of these programs to propagate corals, and the
idea seems to be spreading, especially marketed as a restoration program.
Might be good to have a platform where people could add programs they are
rare of and what region they are in??  Given that these people are well
intentioned, pairing these with better information might be very effective?
Does anyone have the bandwidth to do that?

best
Nicole

Nicole L. Crane
Faculty, Cabrillo College
Natural and Applied Sciences
www.cabrillo.edu/~ncrane

Senior Conservation Scientist, Project co-lead
One People One Reef
onepeopleonereef.ucsc.edu

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:43 AM Chad Scott via Coral-List <