[Coral-List] Coral Fragging should be banned

Victor Jongeneel vjongene at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 22:58:32 UTC 2019

OK, maybe time for a reality check. There are quite a few outfits out there, particularly in locations where there is little in the way of academic coral biology research, that are trying to do restoration work using nurseries, fragging, and outplanting on artificial supports. Many of these are led by competent and dedicated individuals. I don't think that banning them would accomplish anything useful. What is really needed is to provide them with guidance to avoid the most blatant problems associated with "coral monocultures", in terms of preserving genetic diversity and avoiding the emergence of artificial reefs devoid of biodiversity. The Coral Restoration Consortium is trying to do just that, and should be applauded for their efforts.

There are also other dimensions to this. Here in Curaçao, the Government (well-intentioned but misguided) has banned the collection of any more "fragments of opportunity" used for asexual propagation, therefore limiting the genetic diversity of the stocks available for outplanting. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't provide any funding for the restoration efforts either.

The remarks about needing a PhD to be considered a restoration practitioner are IMHO misplaced. While I absolutely agree that a solid background in genetics is helpful to properly plan and execute a restoration program, I also feel that a reasonably intelligent individual who cares about conservation and restoration can understand the issues with a few weeks of training (disclosure: I do have a PhD in genetics). Not publishing results in academic journals is by no means an indication that the program is sloppy.

So my €0.02 worth: there is no reason to ban fragging, but there are plenty of reasons to provide better guidance and training to those who want to do it, and to be critical of efforts that fail to enforce minimal standards.

C. Victor Jongeneel, PhD
Willemstad
Curaçao