[Coral-List] Coral Fragging should be banned

Mat Nolan mpn123jm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 23:25:06 UTC 2019

If you have data that quantifies your knowledge of this alleged problem.
please share

I'd like to know how many people you think are taking theses courses.

How much more likely are they to engage in coral fragging activities after
taking the courses than they would have before taking the course?

What is the background/interests of the clientele?

Do they have some economic interest in the fragging activities?

Just something more a focused vacation activity and probably will never do
it again?

Are the educated?  Just a bunch of clueless tourist with no idea what they
are doing?

Do they think they are doing something helpful for the environment?

Are they more likely to care about the bigger picture cause of preventing
climate change because they learned something about the beauty of nature
and that it is worth saving after doing the activity?

Are they parents taking their family because they know  20 years from now,
it might not be there to experience?

What percentage of the areas these activities are taken place in will even
have living coral 10 years now?

In the absence of doing the fragging certification, what is the nature of
any damage that would have been done by the same group in the same waters?

Well, that seems like just a bunch of questions but I must say,
any opinion if expressed here within is not that of any past/present/future
employer of mine.

A lot goes on in this list with respect to scientific data and analysis
resulting in publications.

So, whenever you can quantify in some fashion your audience will be able to
better relate.

My suggestion is to create  zones where such  activities are allowed to
occur.
perhaps some sort of online permitting required, so data can be acquired on
frequency of the activity.
Then to don't have to fight any outright ban battle.

The zone can be very small, or chosen to be in locations that are perceived
as less desirable
so if the activity is damaging its minimized in some sense.

Create a nice self-perpetuating bureaucracy with rules to follow and has
fines that can be assessed?

Wishing you a number of happy thoughts and I hope you day isn't worse than
mine.
Matt Nolan

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 1:55 PM Chad Scott via Coral-List <