[Coral-List] Coral-List 'Coral Fragging should be banned'

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Mon Apr 15 15:02:12 UTC 2019

This is a great discussion, and thanks all for participating.  I think one
of Chad's concerns is the widespread use of fragging with limited training
and in depth knowledge of its mechanisms.  While I agree that an outright
ban may not be the best route, bringing attention to a practice that needs
to be done with care and research is probably a good idea.  Our work, for
example, is showing that a relatively recently 'fragged' coral (probably
via a combination of big storm and small boats) is spreading very well, is
very resilient, and is colonizing reefs at a pretty fast rate, and is
lovely to look at.  BUT, upon closer inspection, it is overgrowing other
corals, driving diversity way down and, most importantly for the local
people, fish don't seem to care much for it.  Fish biomass on the reefs
that are monospecifically dominated by this species of *Montipora* is quite
low compared to more diverse reefs.

I really think the take home message is that relationships in ecological
systems can be quite complex.  If we choose what grows where, and how much
of it, we are likely influencing a whole host of other relationships, which
may not have great outcomes.  This is a very important point.  For example,
in reefs that may be resilient otherwise, and ones where protecting fish
diversity first (which can lead to a rebound in corals), that may be a more
productive angle than out planting corals with little knowledge of broader
consequences.  The much more difficult task of working with local people to
manage fishing and reef impacts may ultimately be better for some reefs. By
playing 'god' to reef health, this very western driven approach may be
compromising people whose reefs are being altered - and not necessarily to
their benefit.

With systems like this - slow, thoughtful, well designed and well
researched may be a better way forward...

best
Nicole

Nicole L. Crane
Faculty, Cabrillo College
Natural and Applied Sciences
www.cabrillo.edu/~ncrane

Senior Conservation Scientist, Project co-lead
One People One Reef
onepeopleonereef.ucsc.edu

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:29 AM Jonathan Barton via Coral-List <