[Coral-List] Update on Allen Coral Atlas

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:42:31 UTC 2019

We continue building the Allen Coral Atlas.

Here's coverage from National Geographic

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/10/news-allen-coral-atlas-reefs-satellites-climate-change/

During 2018, we released a satellite-based global photomosaic of Earth's coral reefs, with a resolution of about 12 feet per pixel, and the first detailed maps of 6 coral reefs:

Heron Island, Australia
Kayankemi Reef, Sri Lanka
Moorea, French Polynesia
Karimunjava, Indonesia
West Hawaii, USA
Lighthouse Reef, Belize

Testing of automated processing for classifying the satellite images continues.

During 2019, we'll map at the regional scale, and we expect to complete global coverage in 2020.

The Allen Coral Atlas is the first release of an experimental product. We welcome the input of users.

If you do research, management, or any other activity at the reefs listed above, please, let us know how you are using the Allen Coral Atlas to help in your daily work.

If your focus is in other reefs, check out what we have mapped so far and let us know how you would use the Atlas if your reef was already mapped.

Go to http://www.allencoralatlas.org/

Select "Atlas" from the top bar, and you can navigate through the mapped areas.

Send your comments and questions to support at allencoralatlas.org

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/