[Coral-List] Effects of DEET on coral?

Ioana V. Bazavan ijust0411 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:11:21 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone,

I was referred to this group by the Reef Check Foundation. I was looking for some research on the effects of DEET on coral health. A cursory Internet search yielded a study out of Florida that was more broadly about the effects of pesticides on coral, but I couldn’t find anything specifically about DEET.

This conversation has come up in tropical tourist areas. Harmful sunscreen ingredients are being highlighted, but what about bug sprays? In many of those locations mosquitos and/or sand fleas are an issue, so likely as many people wear bug spray (and often DEET over natural options) as wear sunscreen. What’s that impact?

Thank you in advance for any insights,

Ioana

Sent from my iPhone