[Coral-List] FW: SPAM R2: Reply to fellow coral-listers "Coral Fragging should be banned"

Julian julian at reefcheck.org.my
Fri Apr 19 00:54:37 UTC 2019

As a non-scientists I would like to express my support for Chad's comment. The organisation I work for is involved in a small number of what we call reef restoration projects. We are doing these with two goals: 1) to understand how it works so we can learn more about reefs and 2) to educate local communities and other local stakeholders about coral reefs and the variety of threats they face. The latter allows us to start conversations with local stakeholders and, perhaps get them involved in activities to reduce those threats.

Maintenance and monitoring are central to all our projects. Maintenance involves physically cleaning installations twice per week for the first six months (toothbrush to remove silt and algae - imagine how tedious that is). We also collect data on growth and survival over the long term - we are still monitoring the first site we established in 2011. We have released the results of our work - the good AND the bad so people don't repeat our mistakes - in reports published on our website. Many of the more recent restoration operators don't  do any monitoring at all.

So I would echo Chad's call for improving regulation. Perhaps we should start with clarifying definitions of what we are doing...restoration, rehabilitation, propagation, coral gardening, coral nurseries...too many imprecise, overlapping terms.

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia
+60 3 2161 5948