[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] Effects of DEET on coral?

Bargar, Timothy tbargar at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 19 15:21:12 UTC 2019

I cannot specifically answer your question about the affect of DEET.  Like
many such chemicals, their affect on organisms of interest simply has not
been evaluated.

But, what is concerning about DEET is its pervasiveness in the environment,
particularly in water samples.  We have conducted a lot of environmental
sampling and DEET is one of those compounds that shows up most frequently.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:04 AM Ioana V. Bazavan via Coral-List <

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I was referred to this group by the Reef Check Foundation. I was looking
> for some research on the effects of DEET on coral health. A cursory
> Internet search yielded a study out of Florida that was more broadly about
> the effects of pesticides on coral, but I couldn’t find anything
> specifically about DEET.
>
> This conversation has come up in tropical tourist areas. Harmful sunscreen
> ingredients are being highlighted, but what about bug sprays? In many of
> those locations mosquitos and/or sand fleas are an issue, so likely as many
> people wear bug spray (and often DEET over natural options) as wear
> sunscreen. What’s that impact?
>
> Thank you in advance for any insights,
>
> Ioana
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Tim Bargar, Ph.D.
Research Ecotoxicologist
The USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center
7920 NW 71st Street
Gainesville, Florida 32653
T - (352) 264-3520
F - (352) 378-4956