[Coral-List] Mixed Messages

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Thu Aug 1 16:39:28 UTC 2019

Hello Mike:

1) I did NOT write that coral reefs are the " the ONLY ones not affected by nutrients (Szmant, 2002)." Read the paper carefully with an open mind and you will see that. My objective was to critically review a contentious issue where some folks put the answer ahead of the question and data. My points were that: a) nutrients can be a cause of algal overgrowth but so can a bunch of other factors such as loss of herbivory (tons of experimental work showing less grazing more impactful than moderate nutrient enrichment). B) Lots of great reefs that have good historical accretion and high coral cover (at least back in prior decades) in spite of natural nutrient enrichment such as seasonal upwelling. C) There are many places remote from humans, with clear as gin water column and BDL nutrient concentrations where corals are in worse shape that reefs near humans because global warming killed them. D) Physiologically, corals are animals and they need nutrients from both heterotrophy and uptake of inorganic and organic nutrients to survive and grow. And they grow better and faster and have heathier tissues when they get the right kind of ambient nutrient (particulate and dissolved) regime for their physiology. Lots of experimental work out of Australia (Ken Anthony's work and others), aquarium community, showing importance of feeding to coral health and grow, that varies by species.

2) Of the two cases you cite where there was rapid recovery after reducing nutrient enrichment/eutrophication by management actions: Kaneohe Bay was not a fast or steady recovery because there was a lot of nutrient loading in the sediments near the low-circulation area near the original outfall, and it took decades for the corals to come back, and there have been other causes of coral decline in that area unrelated to nutrient enrichment in the decades after that. With regard to the other, I don't know much about Worthing Bay, and couldn't find any scientific work about the effects of the sewage spills, which have been recent and apparently government is working to remedy.  There are many more examples of where corals and reef community structure has improved after grazers returned, or how they have gone down hill after bleaching coupled with disease outbreaks have killed the corals and other temperature sensitive organisms.

It is not a dichotomous choice. Both elevated temperatures and degraded water quality can negatively impact corals and coral reefs, but one hammer is much bigger and more widespread than the other: global warming is just that:  GLOBAL, reaching even those outpost where humans are scarce.  Reef condition is generally worse near large human settlements, no surprise. The issue is apportioning the effects and not expecting to sell an expensive "solution" to the public that won't work for a particular place because water quality may not be the cause of the problem. I do believe that the Florida Keys is one of those places where the natural system has great flushing capacity, and eutrophication of the reef ecosystem is not has not been happening. This doesn't mean I support dumping sewage and other types of nutrient sources on the reef, why would I? But It does mean that anthropogenic eutrophication has not been/is not now, the cause of the decline of corals in the Florida Keys. I may change my mind after I read the newest Lapointe paper more carefully, but I doubt it.

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08