[Coral-List] Mixed Messages

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 3 21:38:51 UTC 2019

   Hello Alina, and thank you for the response.

    I did not mis-attribute anything you wrote. I said, "We have been led
   to believe..." In your 2002 Estuaries paper, you state "The evidence
   that nutrient enrichment has widely impacted coral reefs is poor", and
   "While nutrient enrichment may be the major factor in the decline of a
   few reefs, it appears to mostly play a secondary role..."

    In short, you led us to believe this-as I said.

    Science advances by consensus. There have not been many others papers
   denying the importance of nutrients on reefs. In my limited experience,
   I have seen your Estuaries paper cited by (a) your students, and (b)
   developers.

    I certainly accept that grazing is a major factor-I said some while
   back there has been little new in the field since Stephenson and
   Searles. There also is no question that global warming, if unchecked,
   will put the boots to the few reef remnants that still exist. Our 1997
   paper still scares me (Smith et al., Nature 386: 818), because we
   suggest that "...the initiation of the Younger Dryas may have taken
   place over as few as 5 years". The Younger Dryas, some believe, was a
   major reorganisation of Atlantic circulation, triggered by a meltwater
   event-of which we currently have sufficient. The final blows from
   climate change may therefore come more quickly than we already fear.

    What bothers me is the decades-long reluctance by many reef biologists
   to accept the importance of nutrients. Where would reefs be to-day if
   the worlds' reef biologists had stood up on their hind legs 40 years
   ago and shouted with one voice "Clean up the freakin water!" but they
   were collectively unable to assemble their feces, and chased various
   shiny objects.

    There never should have been the slightest doubt about the importance
   of nutrients. In the late 1960's and early 70's, Colin Stearn and Terry
   Scoffin and their students produced an enormous study of the carbonate
   budget of a then-healthy reef, Barbados. They showed us, almost a
   half-century ago, that accumulation rates of even a healthy reef were
   within the error bars of destruction (bioerosion) rates. We all know
   the response of bioerosion, especially by algae and sponges, to
   increased nutrients. So by 1977, we knew that bioerosion was an
   extremely important aspect of reef health, quantitatively more
   important even than coral growth rate.

    Anyone who doubts the tendency of reef biologists to chase shiny
   objects, I invite them to tabulate papers in, say, Coral Reefs. By
   rights, half those papers should cover aspects of bioerosion. Hoo Boy.
   It is time to accept that, with a few notable champions, this subject
   has been sadly ignored. (Hi, Christine.)

    I appreciate that you "may change your mind" after you read Brian's
   paper-which was, after all, the origin of this thread. I am well aware
   you do not believe eutrophication has been the cause of the decline in
   Florida's reefs. If you have not been convinced by "Sewage-derived
   nitrogen sources have persisted at the Backcountry, Lower Keys and
   Middle Keys reef sites since the 1970s and there has been a marked
   increase in d15N since ca. 1993, suggesting even greater insult to the
   reef ecosystem from land-based sources of pollution" (Ward-Paige et al,
   2005a) or "Sanctuary wide, coral cover declined while Clionid sponge
   abundance increased from 1996 to 2001" and "Coral loss in the Florida
   Reef Tract is a result of land-based stress, rather than "global
   change" (Ward-Paige et al 2005b) then I don't know what it would take.

    Mike

   (ps-some may feel I have been hard on reef biologists. Suck it up. M
   Risk, PhD Biology.)

   Ward-Paige, C.A., Risk, M.J., Sherwood, O.A., 2005a. Reconstruction of
   nitrogen

   sources on coral reefs: d15N and d13C in gorgonians from the Florida
   Reef Tract.

   Marine Ecology Progress Series 296, 155-163.

   Ward-Paige, C.A., Risk, M.J., Sherwood, O.A., Jaap, W.C., 2005b.
   Clionid sponge

   surveys on the Florida Reef Tract suggest land-based nutrient inputs.
   Marine

   Pollution Bulletin 51, 570-579.

   On Aug 1, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Alina Szmant