[Coral-List] New paper on coral reef functioning: eight core processes and the role of biodiversity

Simon Brandl simonjbrandl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 17:31:08 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I am pleased to share our new paper on coral reef functioning, published last week in Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. In our review, we argue that, despite repeated calls to conserve coral reef functioning, we currently have a limited understanding of what makes coral reefs functional (or not). To aid a more structured quantification of coral reef functioning, we partition reef functioning into eight core processes in four reciprocal pairs that are horizontally intertwined (see Fig. 3 of the paper). With this framework in place, we can measure the importance of key species versus biodiversity on the performance of these processes. We offer a detailed DIY toolkit in the supplementary material that outlines a variety of studies (ranging from small scale experiments to global experimental networks) that would yield broadly comparable, quantitative data on the functioning of coral reefs and its drivers across space. Archiving these data in publicly accessible databases, in turn, could offer guidance for practitioners and stakeholders seeking to conserve or restore coral reefs in the Anthropocene.

The paper is available online under here: https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/fee.2088 <https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/fee.2088> and we provide a short video abstract here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1b12NPhYE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1b12NPhYE>

If you wish to receive a pdf copy of the paper, please feel free to email me. Any comments or feedback on the paper are of course appreciated.

Best wishes,

Simon Brandl

SIMON J. BRANDL, PHD
Banting Postdoctoral Research Fellow