[Coral-List] Mixed Messages

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 17:55:05 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

“Where would reefs be to-day if the worlds’ reef biologists had stood up on their hind legs 40 years ago and shouted with one voice” “Clean up the freakin water!”

Where indeed?!

If the coral science community’s failure to form and articulate a strong and unified message in years past is, to some extent responsible for the current state of affairs, doesn’t that same shortcoming still fully apply to the here and now?

One thing is for sure, those of us who haven’t given up have got to figure out how to avoid the mistakes of the past.  Since most would likely agree that there are any number of egregious insults/stressors (and yes, “shiny objects” too) out there presently . . . what exactly should reef biologists and others involved be shouting out in unison today?

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad