[Coral-List] ICRS 2020 session on new insights into coral reef biomineralization in response to climate change

Fiorella Prada - Marine Science Group fiorella at marinesciencegroup.org
Tue Aug 6 14:15:03 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at the
14thInternational
Coral Reef Symposium, to be held 5-10 July 2020 at the University of
Bremen, Germany:

*Theme 9: Global and local impacts – **How do new insights into
biomineralization help us understand the reef calcification response to
global climate change?*
<http://www.icrs2020.de/program/session-program/#c241>

*Session Description:*

Corals, algae, bivalves, foraminifera and microbes all calcify and build
the reefs that are vital to marine ecosystems yet many of the mechanisms
and processes underlying biomineralization remain poorly understood.
Calcifying organisms are particularly vulnerable to ocean warming and
acidification, potentially reducing the socioeconomic benefits of
ecosystems reliant on these taxa. Using novel tools and instrumentation,
mechanisms of biomineralization are being elucidated at increasingly finer
temporal and spatial scales. This session focuses on present knowledge on
the biological and environmental control of biomineral deposition in marine
calcifiers, covering recent advances in understanding structural,
biogeochemical, molecular, and physiological aspects of biomineralization.
We welcome contributions from researchers studying biomineralization using
a diverse range of techniques including molecular and genetic studies,
laboratory culturing, microscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, pH and ion
sensors, skeletal geochemistry and field studies. We are especially
interested to hear about newly developed tools as well as well-established
protocols used in a novel way. Broadly, we seek to better understand the
effects of biotic and abiotic constraints on mineral formation and
preservation, and how these translate to persistence of the ability to
calcify under potentially detrimental conditions of increased sea surface
temperature and nutrient loading and decreased ocean pH. This
cross-discipline focus will improve the understanding of all attendees of
the fundamental mechanisms of biomineralization and its response to global
change.

*For abstract submission and conference information visit*:
http://www.icrs2020.de/program/call-for-abstracts/

Abstract submission is open *until 1 September 2019*. We look forward to
your participation in this exciting meeting and to seeing you soon in
Bremen!

Best wishes,

*The Session Organizers*

Ed Hathorne, GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (Germany)

Fiorella Prada, University of Bologna (Italy)

Stefano Goffredo, University of Bologna (Italy)

Tali Mass, University of Haifa(Israel)

Jeana Drake,University of California, Los Angeles(USA)