[Coral-List] Sargassum/floating algae

Ken Hamel kenhamel at my.uri.edu
Wed Aug 7 16:39:38 UTC 2019

Randy,

I think the short answer is yes, there are folks at work on these things.
In reference to the mid-Atlantic *Sargassum* blooms, check out work by
Chuanmin Hu and Mengqiu Wang at USF. They have published a number of papers
on monitoring *Sargassum *and other macroalgae, e.g.

Wang M and Hu C. "On the continuity of quantifying floating algae of the
Central West Atlantic between MODIS and VIIRS." International journal of
remote sensing 39.12 (2018): 3852-3869.

They've also published a piece in *Science* month that has gotten huge
media attention.

A recent dissertation by U Maryland’s Maureen Brooks has yielded two
publications (so far) on modelling parameters influencing these same blooms:

Brooks MT, Coles VJ, Hood RR, & Gower JF (2018). Factors controlling the
seasonal distribution of pelagic *Sargassum.* Marine Ecology Progress
Series, 599, 1-18.

Brooks MT, Coles VJ, & Coles WC (2019). Inertia Influences Pelagic
*Sargassum* Advection and Distribution. Geophysical Research Letters.
46(5), 2610-2618

A recent review by Candace Oviatt (URI) el al might also be of interest to
those participating in recent discussions on nutrient-coral dynamics on
this listserv:

Oviatt CA, Huizenga K, Rogers CS & Miller WJ (2019). What nutrient sources
support anomalous growth and the recent *Sargassum* mass stranding on
Caribbean beaches? A review. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 145, 517-525

And in Asia, Hailong Zhang (at Nanjing) , Qianguo Xing (at Yantai) , and
others have been developing methods for monitoring large scale ulvoid
and *Sargassum
horneri* blooms, e.g.

Zhang  et al. "A simple and effective method for monitoring floating green
macroalgae blooms: a case study in the Yellow Sea." Optics express 27.4
(2019): 4528-4548.

Xing et al. "Monitoring seaweed aquaculture in the Yellow Sea with multiple
sensors for managing the disaster of macroalgal blooms." Remote Sensing of
Environment 231 (2019): 111279.

When it comes to pelagic macroalgal blooms, almost all the work that has
been published has been in this vein, i.e. monitoring, forecasting,
oceanographic influences, and the like. Obviously, these are vital, but it
would be nice to see some papers on impacts of the blooms, on species
interactions, or on SES. There are plenty of newspaper articles speculating
on these, but only a *very *few journal articles.

Cheers,
Ken Hamel
PhD Student
Department of Marine Affairs
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 02881
808 748-1963
kenhamel at my.uri.edu

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-8968286851001083099_m_-8436717937186174564_m_-3238503453268798489_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:40 AM Randy Clark - NOAA Federal via Coral-List <