[Coral-List] Mixed Messages

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 17:31:33 UTC 2019

Hi Tomas,

I would like to point out one particularly demoralizing aspect of this discussion that I’m not sure is being fully realized or appreciated. The “synergistic” approach, which I believe in substance has compelling legitimacy,  is unfortunately playing into the hands of climate change deniers and policy makers who are more than happy to embrace any scientific research which can be spun in their direction. I just read an article earlier today which was referring to the rejection of anthropogenic climate change in the policies of the current U.S. administration which is claiming responsible stewardship of clean water, air and oceans in the face of the undeniable degradation of coral reefs in Florida. Their rationale for omitting references to climate change was both revealing and enlightening and I believe is in need of emphasis.

While senior administration officials admitted that the degradation of coral reefs “is a problem we’re serious about” they pointed to language in the International Coral Reef Initiative’s 1995 call to action which claimed that “reasons for the decline in reef health are varied, complex, and often difficult to accurately determine”.  So, although your point is well taken and reasonable within the realm of scientific debate, we should all be mindful of the broader context in which these discussions can and do apply.

All this leaves me to believe that although there are undeniably synergistic factors at play,  perhaps it is (past) time for the coral science community to go ahead and list threats in order by priority even though, as Clive Wilkinson just pointed out, the “top ten” rankings may not be exactly the same everywhere around the world. I feel confident that the results of any such a delineation would drive home the point that the elephant in the room can no longer be ignored.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad