[Coral-List] Mixed Messages; Barbados vs. Cuba's Garden: it's nutrients, but not sewage.

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Thu Aug 8 17:55:36 UTC 2019

Hi Joe,
For those not familiar with Barbados I would like to point out that there
are two types of coral reefs surrounding the island, the fringing reefs
and an offshore submerged barrier reef that we used to call the Bank Reef.
The reef that you are showing in the video is the Bank Reef located
anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 km offshore.  Because of its location the Bank
Reef is well flushed and does not suffer from land-based stressors ‘as
much as’ the fringing reefs that line the shoreline, especially on the
west coast of the island. I would love to see some videos of these
fringing reefs. Have you folks done any quantitative studies on the
offshore Bank Reef to compare their status the study done by Bruce Ott in
1975?:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/iroh.19750600601

Tomas