[Coral-List] Mixed Messages; Barbados vs. Cuba's Garden: it's nutrients, but not sewage.

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 10 11:38:37 UTC 2019

Joe:

The last time somebody asked me to watch a YouTube video that “proved” something, it was some guy at Heartland Institute who claimed to disprove global warming.

This thread began when I characterized Barbados as an “outhouse on a karst outcrop.” Angie Brathwaite took offense, and it’s hard to blame her-those were tough words. Angie’s a friend, and a good person. I was sorry I had offended her, so I apologized. But there was more than a grain of truth in my comment.

We don’t have to depend on tourists’ YouTube videos here: science does not advance via social-media postings. VIMS has carefully tabulated the available evidence on marine habitats, identified marine “dead zones” (areas of oxygen depletion due to organic loading), and posted the results on Google Earth with a scary fish-skeleton icon. Barbados has the only dead zone from the coast of Venezuela north to the latitude of Puerto Rico. The accompanying text says “Its waters suffer from eutrophication due to fecal matter in the water.”

Joe, it is good that Tom has set you straight on Barbados-you might have contacted him before going down, because he really knows those reefs. The rest of your post seems to be an extended infomercial for your latest research.

I am interested in your comment that “it’s nutrients but not sewage”-because this seems to fit the all-too-common pattern of reef biologists being chemically naïve. Sewage IS nutrients-plus everything else we put down the toilet. Once those phosphates and nitrates are released into the water column, it can be very hard to trace their source. But we do have tools, and I would be glad to help you out here.

One of the handiest tools is stable isotopes of nitrogen, delta 15-N. This is a trophic indicator, increasing with each step in the food chain. It works so well because humans are the main top carnivore pooping in the ocean. Similarly, coprostanol is a fecal steroid, often used as a sewage tracer. Analyses for coprostanol are difficult and expensive, 15-N are easy and cheap, and work at least as well as tracers of sewage (Bachtiar et al, 1996: Sci Total Env 179: 3-16).

A host of other tracers have been used, such as caffeine, residues of birth-control pills, etc. There are many tools available that will allow us to tell sewage nutrients from other sources-for example, nitrogenous fertilizers are synthesized from atmospheric N, hence their 15N signal is zero-sewage N will be higher. To add to this bag of tricks, Environment Canada is doing some very cool work using P isotopes to tease out sources of nutrients in agriculture.

In short, your assertion that the nutrients were not sewage does not seem supported by adequate data. Like many reef biologists, you invoke the Diadema dieoff…yet this just-so story is not adequately supported by the data. When I look at Gardner’s figure, I see the decline in Caribbean reefs decreasing monotonically with no vestige of a Diadema Dimple. Some data might help, as well as looking at some of the published descriptions of stress on Cuban reefs (e.g. Risk et al., 2014, Mar Poll Bull 83: 282-89).

If you, or anyone else reading this, would like help navigating this array of indicators, just contact me off-list. I am not sanguine, however: the 15-N technique, for example, was first applied to reefs almost 30 years ago, and in 1992 (Reef Encounter) I suggested it be a routine part of any reef monitoring program. Reef biologists still spend millions of dollars counting critters, when a few tens would go a long way to providing answers.

Mike