[Coral-List] P:R ratios as measures of daily productivity

Thomas Krueger tk556 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 12 13:40:58 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,
over the last couple of months I came across multiple instances where
P:R ratios as approximate measures of a coral's autotrophic state (based
on the original work by Odum & Odum 1955) have been calculated the wrong
way. Only a few groups have the capability to measure oxygen
productivity over a whole light or dark period in the field, so most of
us rely on lab respirometry, where short-term incubations in sealed
chambers are used to derive values for coral productivity. The hourly
oxygen production or consumption rate can then be extrapolated to a 24h
period to gain some indication about general productivity based on
oxygen metabolism and to some degree on the dependence on autotrophy
(expressed as P:R ratio). However, I have encountered multiple cases
where authors have simply divided the measured Pgross (gross
photosynthesis) directly through R (holobiont respiration). This is not
a P:R ratio in the traditional (and I guess intended) sense as it does
not consider the circadian context of productivity. Hourly Pgross needs
to be multiplicated with the number of daylight hours and then divided
by the product of 24h times the hourly respiration value. I believe part
of the confusion comes from the fact that this variable is simply called
"P:R ratio", but should be called "daily P:R ratio". There is merit in
comparing hourly rates of Pgross and R in the light directly, but this
would be better served as a "light R:Pgross ratio", representing the
percentage of produced oxygen used for holobiont respiration in the
light. As part of an ongoing manual for students and tutors, I have
decided to already upload the few pages on measuring oxygen metabolism
via respirometry here
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335125289_Measuring_coral_oxygen_metabolism_via_respirometry.
It contains also a few questions for the wider community regarding best
practice in obtaining reliable respirometry data (e.g. minimal
saturation changes in the chamber, upper and lower limits for saturation
changes to ensure coral health). The manual I am working on is still in
progress, but I am helpful for any feedback in general and on the issue
of P:R ratios in particular.
All the best,
Thomas

--

*--*

*Thomas Krueger */Research Associate/

Waller Lab | Department of Biochemistry | University of Cambridge

*P: *+44 (0)1223 768942