[Coral-List] A plan to save coral reefs

Phillip Dustan phil.dustan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 13:44:18 UTC 2019

 Please, y'all
    Give me a break-
Monitoring and restoration can't fix what's broken.
Nor will putting all the corals in an aquarium zoo.....
As much as the Coral Reef Task Force did for NOAA's budget, it did not stop
the reefs from dying.
It's throwing good money after bad until we take the bull by the horns and
solve the wicked problems.
We should all stop pontificating and get serious....
Maybe we should cryofreeze everything with an automatic release back into
the biosphere after humans have gone extinct!

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <

> Headline reads: Florida’s coral reefs are in trouble. Here’s a new $160
> million plan to save them.
>

> The Restoring Resilient Reefs Act of 2019 “will ensure future generations
> will be able to enjoy this natural wonder,”
>
> The bill does not explicitly mention climate change, but it does mention
> that reefs face a challenge of “human-accelerated changes, including
> increasing ocean temperatures, ocean acidification, coral bleaching, coral
> diseases, and invasive species.”
>
> “The bill would funnel more money than before into management of reefs
> through matching state grants, with a focus on restoring reefs where
> natural disasters and human activities have hurt them.”
>
> Read more here:
>
> https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article233412922.html
>

> Maybe someone can explain how we can “save” coral reefs through
> restoration (apparently) without addressing climate change and other major
> stressors.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steve
>

> Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail

Phillip Dustan PhD
Charleston SC  29424
843-953-8086 office
843-224-3321 (mobile)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself
we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords
that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. "
*                                         John Muir 1869*

*Bali Coral Bleaching 2016 video*

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo>*
TEDx Charleston on saving coral reefs