[Coral-List] Barbados Reefs

Angie abrathwaite at blue-finance.org
Tue Aug 13 12:37:53 UTC 2019

Just FYI

1. Barbados (Ministry of Blue Economy and CERMES, UWI) have been monitoring its fringing (west coast), patch (mainly south coast) and bank/barrier reefs (more recently) at 5 year intervals since 1982. Last one completed in 2017.

2. We therefore have excellent data on temporal changes in our coral reef communities from a variety of indicators.

3. We have a range of coral reefs types with varying levels of health.

4. Our south coast patch reefs, have always been...well patchy and hard coral abundance has changed little since at least 1982, in spite of bleaching events.

5. Water quality has improved on the south coast since the functioning of the South Coast Sewerage plant and we´d love to say the increase in coral recruits is due to that…but cannot conclusively ...

6. Of course we have issues with water quality, as does just about everyone and are working on it.

7. Please contact me directly if you want more information on our reefs.

peace
angie