[Coral-List] A plan to save coral reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 14:34:19 UTC 2019

Hi Phil,

That’s pretty much how I see it, but let me ask you if my greater fears have any validity.

It appears to me that the legislation under consideration (The Restoring Resilient Reefs Act of 2019) exemplifies a calculated strategy which is being applied by some governments (e.g. USA/Australia) in an attempt to further delay having to deal directly with the “wicked problems” as you call them. The most insidious aspect of this approach is that it can serve to entrap the coral science community by making them appear to be complicit. By investing in monitoring and restoration, governments can offer much needed resources to coral researchers who in turn give something of an implied (although perhaps unwitting) endorsement to the government’s policy positions through their acceptance and participation.

 All the while, major stressors are being diminished by characterizations like this one attributed to the (USA)NSC in another article about the proposed legislation (https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article233580062.html).   “National Security Council officials issued a challenge to the scientific consensus that warming oceans pose an intensifying mortal threat to coral reef systems”, "There is no evidence that coral bleaching is intensifying now or will in the future, coral reefs have bleached and usually recovered throughout their evolutionary history."

You said “We should all stop pontificating and get serious . . . .”  I would add stop pandering as well. . . either that, or get on with the cryofreezing!

Regards,

Steve

P.S. Let me add that I draw these conclusions reluctantly. I hold the coral science community in the highest regard. To me you are superheroes and I hope that my somewhat cynical depiction proves to be blatantly unfounded.

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail