[Coral-List] P:R ratios as measures of daily productivity

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Tue Aug 13 17:24:03 UTC 2019

Hello Thomas:

You are absolutely correct that the P/R terminology has not always been used consistently (for corals or any other organism). The original concept was how much excess production does an organism have over basal metabolism at the end of the day (complete light-dark cycle), which of course presents some challenges to measure completely.

Years ago in a collaborative project between myself, Jim Porter, Peter Swat and Richard Dodge, we used Jim's respirometers to make semi-complete diel measurements of oxygen flux by doing back to back incubations from dawn to dusk that integrated all of the net production for our 18 experimental corals, and intermittent incubations over the nighttime to get snippets of respiration that we then interpolated for the hours when we didn't do back to back incubations (night work can be challenging especially in winter and during rough seas). With these values we calculated daily net production, and by doing the night-time interpolations we calculated how much O2 was consumed during the complete dark cycle. If one accepts the assumption that R is the same during the daytime while the corals are photosynthesizing, one can calculate a 24 hour P/R ratio.  I sadly confess these data were presented at a couple of meeting but haven't been published... I need to work on that.

But for most of the work I have done over the years, we have used short dark and light incubations back to back to get an idea of short term net and gross production, and P/R ratio, which if adjusted for the numbers of daylight and with the assumption that R at night is the same as R measured in the middle of the day, we can estimate a daily P/R ratio. These are short cuts because of the difficulty in making truly integrative measurements of diel R and P.  I think this is OK as long as one is clear with what one is reporting.

More recently with CISME (see information on website out our new diver portable underwater respirometer), we have observed that R is NOT the same all of the time, and it depends on the immediate light regime the coral was under before the R was measured. There are other reports that R is not the same day and night, so more work is needed to nail this down before we know how close we are to an accurate assessment of P/R with the methods that have been used.

I assume you are familiar with: Kinsey DW (1985) Metabolism, calcification and carbon production. I. System level studies. Proc 5th Int Coral Reef Congr
4:505-526, in which much of the older information is reviewed and summarized, and there are a number of more recent papers by Crossland and others. This topic of research has waned in recent years which is a pitty since there is still much to be learned. I hope that CISME will be of some assistance in furthering this research once it gets better known and in the hands of coral physiologists.

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08