[Coral-List] Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020 Session Announcement: SI014 - Towards a Sustainable Ocean: The Next Generation of Ocean Entrepreneurship

Stephanie Sharuga ssharuga at att.net
Thu Aug 15 20:47:21 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to announce and extend an invitation to submit abstracts for a unique Social-Ocean Science Interactions and SDGs session at the Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020, to be held in February 2020 in San Diego, CA. The title of the session is "To​wards a Sustainable Ocean: The Next Generation of Ocean Entrepreneurship".
Abstracts are due September 11, 2019.
Note that you may submit two abstracts to the Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020 if one of them is, for example, being submitted to a Social-Ocean Science Interactions and SDGs session like ours. For more detailed guidelines and instructions on submitting an abstract, refer to: https://www2.agu.org/Ocean-Sciences-Meeting/Pages/Abstract-guidelines.
More information on the session:
SI014 - Towards a Sustainable Ocean: The Next Generation of Ocean Entrepreneurship

Human impacts on the ocean have grown considerably in the last century. Due to the many consequences of climate change and pollution, our oceans and their valuable resources are now growing dangerously close to being past the point of recovery. To address this deepening environmental crisis, we must start to think outside traditional approaches to conservation. One of these "new" approaches that are being readily adopted is to invest in and support startups whose innovations have a direct and positive impact on ocean sustainability. Not only does this approach lead to innovations with great potential for furthering environmental protection goals, but it also provides unparalleled opportunities for the next generations to play a more active role in deciding the fate of our oceans.
Join us as we discuss entrepreneurship as an option for furthering ocean sustainability and explore how the next generation of entrepreneurs from around the world are tackling the greatest threats to our oceans by leveraging innovative technologies and creative business models.

Primary Chair & Primary Liaison
Stephanie Sharuga (Genwest Systems, Inc. / NOAA)
Co-chairs
Craig Dudenhoeffer (Sustainable Ocean Alliance)Brandon Levy (Sustainable Ocean Alliance)
To view the session and submit an abstract, please go to the following link:https://agu.confex.com/agu/osm20/prelim.cgi/Session/84702

Potential Topics May Include (but are not limited to - we're flexible!):
* Discussions of challenges for academia, NGOs, government, etc. and how entrepreneurship in its many forms may offer a solution
* Logistical discussions of how entrepreneurship can be promoted and/or funded
* Examples of organizations and programs that promote/fund entrepreneurship
* Examples of entrepreneurship: Products + Technology + Processes + Education & Outreach Programs + and more....
It is our goal to have a very diverse session representing innovations, programs, and perspectives from around the world. International and early career scientists and professionals, as well as students, are thus highly encouraged to submit abstracts. Please share this announcement widely among your peers!
Feel free to contact me (stephanie.sharuga at noaa.gov) or my co-chairs if you have any questions.
We look forward to hopefully seeing you all there!
Best,Stephanie

Stephanie Sharuga, PhD
T 224.688.0519
www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniesharuga