[Coral-List] Oslob Whale Sharks - Linking livelihoods to improved biodiversity conservation

divindawn at yahoo.com divindawn at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 17:30:30 UTC 2019

 Judi,
Thank you for sharing both links and this wondeful story of conservation sucess through tourism.  I'm transitioning to citizen science and tourism myself and face many challenging questions in regard to addressing the multidimensional impacts and efficacies of tourism in conservation.  I would like to believe this is a good example of a win-win situation but my first thoughts were of negative feedback effects of 1) feeding the whale sharks and 2) the methods used in krill harvest.  The link that could have addressed these questions is broken: "recent review of various studies on Oslob found there is little robust evidence that feeding small amount of krill harms the whale sharks or significantly changes their behaviour."  Do you have a link to study that was referenced or have any insights on the sustainability of the methods of krill harvest and impacts to feeding behavior in whale sharks? I would like to share this article and be prepared to address those questions myself.  Much as I would love to read your white paper in attempt to answer my own question, I'm no longer an academic and don't have access to Science Direct.
Thank you,Dawn
    On Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 7:56:48 AM PDT, Judi Lowe via Coral-List <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:

 better link to journal article...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X18307589