[Coral-List] Cruise ships

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 13 19:34:35 UTC 2019

Dear Gene,

The problem is that one side of the double edged sword has been ignored for far too long!

This citation and concluding statement (below) is from a (somewhat dated) comprehensive study on the issue:

Hilaire, Adrian, "An analysis of cruise tourism in the Caribbean and its impact on regional destination ports" (2007). World Maritime University Dissertations. 349.
http://commons.wmu.se/all_dissertations/349

“An analysis of cruise tourism in the Caribbean and its impact on regional destination ports
In this world of wars, genocides, and increasing acts of terror the serenity of the Caribbean will always make the region a much sought after destination. The key stakeholders in the industry, namely cruise operators and destination ports, have a responsibility to develop in the Caribbean cruise industry in a sustainable manner to facilitate the continuance of the industry as well as its long term profitability. Any action contrary to this will ultimately result in cruise operators and destination ports killing the goose that lay the golden egg”.

Yes, there are economic benefits, but stakeholders are obviously not doing enough to promote sustainability. Seems we have learned nothing from the moral of Aesop’s fable as we continue to inflict harm on the goose that laid the golden eggs; aka the region’s coral reefs.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad