[Coral-List] Diving industry takes a step

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 16 17:52:54 UTC 2019

As one who has been critical of the U.S. scuba diving industry’s intransigence on the issue of climate change and its impacts on marine ecosystems, I feel it’s only fair to point out a recent and hopefully significant advancement that may be worthy of note. Could this signal a turning point?

Project Aware, the environmental initiative associated with PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) recently advanced what appears to be an endorsement of the IPCC report concluding that climate change is a major threat to the world’s oceans. https://www.projectaware.org/news/25-years-bringing-ocean-climate-cop

To be clear, there is a lot more that needs to be done before I would suggest that the dive industry has truly adjusted its agenda and risen to become an outspoken proponent of truly effective policy initiatives aimed at protecting the world’s coral reefs, but as someone once said, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail