[Coral-List] Seasoned perspectives

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 17 17:46:24 UTC 2019

As I pondered the significance of another lister’s milestone birthday, it got me thinking about how age and experience might affect one’s perspective on coral reefs.

I imagine age is directly related to baselines in the sense that if you actually observed conditions on coral reefs in say the 1960s, that could have a profound affect on how you view current conditions, your evaluation of various stressors and even on plausible mitigation strategies. I know this applies to divers, but what about scientists?

It’s just a thought , but do you suppose that there is some measurable difference in attitude and approach between the more “seasoned” veterans of coral reef wars and those just entering the fray?

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail