[Coral-List] A thought on experiments with Symbiodiniaceae cultures

Thomas Krueger tk556 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 13:45:06 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I just came back from a  great microbial symbiosis meeting and the talks
and discussions with people afterwards reminded me that experimental
results always have to be viewed in the context of the experimental
settings used. As such I thought it might be a good reminder for my
fellow Symbiodinaceae aficionados that the experimental results from
cultures will always be biased towards the high nutrient environment
they came from, because the commonly used media are all highly enriched
for nitrogen and phosphorus (with Daigo's IMK-medium peaking at an
astonishing 2.3 mM total nitrate concentration plus 50 uM ammonium). I
uploaded a recipe table for the five most commonly used media (f/2, K,
L1, ASP-8A, IMK) for comparison and consideration
(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338012961_Media_recipes_commonly_used_for_Symbiodiniaceae_cultivation).
While these media were clearly developed to permit or improve
culturability of most of these critters, results from comparative
studies that use cultures to assess e.g. stress responses (including my
own antioxidant work on cultures), trans-generational acclimation
potential, and in culture vs. in hospite performance have to be
considered in the environmental context in which these observations took
place.

All the best,

Thomas

--

*--*

*Thomas Krueger */Research Associate/

Waller Lab | Department of Biochemistry | University of Cambridge

*P: *+44 (0)1223 768942