[Coral-List] Seasoned perspectives

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri Dec 20 16:23:51 UTC 2019

Hi Steve. All good and thoughtful questions. Being a scientist does nothing
to make me immune to all the emotions of sport divers watching their
favorite dive sites in "decline". However, as a geologist, I have the
advantage of seeing this as part of the larger evolutionary process; we are
just one more natural perturbation that the rest of nature has to deal with
or disappear.

Reefs of varying types have come and gone over millennia. If we think of
ourselves as just one more geologic-scale threat, it's hard to imagine our
impact being anything akin to the asteroid impact at the end of the
Cretaceous. Our impacts are unique and probably faster than most past
geological phenomena. And, it is likely that reefs will not return to their
former glory until we are gone. But - we will be gone and something will
return to take the place of scleractineans - and us as an ecological
factor. Early reefs were something akin to pond slime but they put the
oxygen into the atmosphere that eventually allowed *Homo stupidus* to
evolve - in the words of Samuel Clemens, "no good deed shall go
unpunished". Initially we had rugose corals and other smallish morphologies
that were likewise replaced by forms that were replaced themselves... all
without our "help". The loss of myriad species due the the K-T impact
cleared the way for scleractineans - was that "good" or "bad"? In all of
this, we are a blip that will disappear. If there is any justice, it is
that our demise will be of our own doing and thinking of ourselves as
anything other than a species competing with others leads to all the angst
that is our just price for what we do.

Best for the holidays,

Denny