[Coral-List] Cruise ships

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 08:27:45 UTC 2019

      I'd be willing to bet that cruise ships use anti-foulants to keep
their ship hulls from growing algae, barnacles, etc which produce drag and
increase fuel costs.  Most ships (maybe virtually all) use anti-foulants.
They have to be toxic to the organisms that like to attach to hard
surfaces, and as the ship moves through the water, I'd bet that some of it
comes off.  Are there any anti-foulants that are reef-friendly?  Maybe
someone knows, I don't.  I bet the area of the hull of one of these ships
is greater than the area of an awful lot of humans with sunscreens on them.
      Some of the biggest cruise ship lines do illegal dumping and keep
getting caught, leading judges to get a bit irritated
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/06/11/carnival-cruise-to-pay-20-million-after-admitting-to-dumping-plastic-waste-in-the-bahamas/#33d1d8f23a6f
  Ships are famous for introducing species by carrying them in their
ballast water.
       Cheers,  Doug