[Coral-List] Seeking grad student – Coral reef microbial ecology

Zoe Pratte zapratte at comcast.net
Mon Dec 30 17:43:12 UTC 2019

Our research lab (http://marine-micro.biology.gatech.edu) is seeking a Ph.D. student for a new NSF-funded study of coral microbiomes. The project blends microbiology, community ecology, and bioinformatics, and is collaborative with Mark Hay at Georgia Tech and Frank Stewart at Montana State. We aim to understand how coral diversity affects microbiome function and coral health. The student will work jointly with Drs. Stewart and Hay but be based in MSU’s Department of Microbiology & Immunology, one of the premier micro departments in the Northwest: https://www.montana.edu/mbi/GraduateStudents.html. She or he will be expected to participate in field work in French Polynesia (Mo’orea, above), potentially for lengthy periods, and to develop an original thesis project with field and lab components. The thesis will likely involve biomolecular sequence (‘omic) analysis. The Stewart lab is committed to creating a supportive environment where students mature as critical thinkers and become leaders in the field. We believe in the importance of intellectual and personal diversity, passion, and teamwork. We also like to laugh.

The start date is flexible, although we hope to fill the spot as soon as possible. Opportunities for spring/summer 2020 admission may be possible (for the right candidate) via an out of cycle admission option. If interested, please contact Frank Stewart at frank.stewart at biology.gatech.edu.