[Coral-List] NOAA plan to save coral reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 31 16:50:42 UTC 2019

Dear Phil,

I know nothing about the inner workings of NOAA and I’m not here to defend them, but as a federal agency I suspect that to some extent their hands are tied. Everyone knows how the current administration feels about climate change and environmental protection in general. Still, there are scientists within the agency that are pushing the narrative, doing what they can to frame the issues properly and with that, I imagine assuming some level of personal risk. But what about the NGOs and the various restoration/conservation organizations that are strategically downplaying or ignoring the fundamental issues that you raise? Most have an array of scientific advisors, why are they playing along?    At the same time, I get the distinct feeling that the prevailing winds are changing. More and more I am hearing things that lead me to believe that a pro-environment mantra is gaining momentum. Call it the “Greta Effect” or whatever, but attitudes are shifting and I really do believe that the political will necessary to change the paradigm is just around the corner. Perhaps it will come too late for some of the world’s coral reefs, but if enough people keep pressing for science-based solutions, growing demand for conservation can drive the political winds in the right direction. Intensifying storms, wildfires and flooding are raising the spectra of the price societies will have to pay for further delays and inaction. Corporations are increasingly aware of the risks involved and being risk-adverse, they will increasingly be using their considerable political influence to push for change. Right now is exactly the right time to clarify the message and build the political will necessary to finally attack the fundamental ecological issues with the ferocity that you suggest. Let’s hope that 2020 marks the beginning of a decade of sea change whereby conservation finds its rightful place among our society’s and the world’s top political priorities. This may sound pollyannaish, but there is just too much at stake to give up. So keep on speaking out and pressing on, hopefully that is sunlight that we are beginning to see at the end of that very long and dark tunnel.

Warm regards for a Happy & Healthy New Year . . .  and a brand new decade of change,

Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad