[Coral-List] predatory journals and coral science in India

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:43:37 UTC 2019

Nick,
    I used whether the English was good or not as a way of telling whether
the passage was plagiarized or not.  Plagiarism was the misdeed, not bad
English, bad English was a clue that a passage had not been plagiarized.  I
don't label journals fraudulent BECAUSE they have poor English, poor
English is one of the clues (I provided several others) that can be used to
try to figure out which are fraudulent.  They are fraudulent because they
claim to do peer review but do not do so, or if they do, do it so
inadequately that people who don't know what they are doing or even engage
in blatant plagiarism can easily get published, as long as they pay the
price.  Like a diploma mill, pay me $X and I print out a diploma that says
you have a PhD., even though you never studied anything.
     I can remember when there were journals in a variety of other
languages other than English (there are still scientific journals in
Russian, Japanese and Chinese, and a small number of journals in other
languages).  Yes, the big publishers are definitely in it for profit, no
question, it is a very lucrative business for them, with free work provided
by scientific reviewers and authors.  Most profit-making companies don't
have legions of highly skilled volunteers working for free for them to
increase their profits.
    But in my opinion the reason that most scientific journals have
switched to English is because more people can read English than any other
language.  If you publish in English you will have more readers than if you
publish in any other language.  I think it is the publishing scientists
themselves who have driven this through which journals they choose to
publish in, though journals surely have not been dragged along against
their will, you're probably right that publishing journals in English is
more profitable because there are more readers, and the for-profit journal
publishers aim to maximize their profits, as virtually all businesses do
(or else they don't last long in the competition.)
      My statements about competence were directed at the authors' many
errors in identification of species.  Identifying corals and doing coral
taxonomy is not easy, as anyone who has tried will realize.  It takes a
mountain of work to make a little progress.  But these people have
published mountains of papers (something like 250 papers, I'm told, for
Raghunathan) using a shortcut, publishing when they actually have not
learned enough to identify coral species correctly.  They are not yet
competent to identify coral species, which you can see in what I wrote
about their papers in detail.  Anyone who wants to can look at the papers
to see for themselves.  They are not competent to write good English, but
that is no crime at all.  But if one cannot write good English, it is in
their own best interest to get help.  India is a big enough country to have
lots of people who are very good at English.  If they don't know someone, I
bet their are people outside India willing to help.  Journals need to find
at least a few such people who can review papers and improve them.  I have
volunteered to help these people if they stop plagiarizing, but I will not
help them as long as they continue that. I've volunteered to review coral
articles and books for Zoological Survey of India for free, they have not
taken me up on that.  Yes, there are minor errors in English in many
papers, and some journals don't seem to care, but I think many or most do
(I have not done a survey on that).
       It appears to me that the explosion of predatory journals has
happened because publishing on the internet is so cheap compared to
publishing on paper, that anybody can do it, and fake being a real journal
when they aren't.  Plus, being financed by the people who publish papers
instead of the people who read papers means that publishing can be driven
by authors who want to get something published whether it is any good or
not drive the publishing instead of readers who want to read quality
articles not junk articles.  The government of India itself has made it
very clear that plagiarism and using predatory journals are not acceptable
to them.  Predatory journals that pretend to have peer review but do not,
are motivated by profit every bit as much as major journals, they just
choose to cheat and to lie about what the do.  And clearly, they are
getting away with it.
       Predatory journal publishing is a real threat to legitimate
science.  People who cheat and publish with them are getting promotions and
better pay ahead of honest people who do the hard work to do things right.
Predatory journals depend on the fact that it is not easy to determine
whether a journal is predatory or not.
       Where do you get the figure that only 3% of the global population is
"literate" in English?  And what is the standard for that?  Wikipedia gives
5.52% of the world population as native English speakers (their term, a
standard one in languages, I believe).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
It is the 3rd most common after Mandarin (entire branch) and Spanish.
English is No. 1 rank for total speakers, with 1.121 billion speakers,
which includes both those for whom it is their 1st language and those for
whom it is second.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers
 Of course, those who can write it well are another, smaller group, no
doubt.  I'm not sure that the number of people who can write Mandarin well
is greater than those who can write English well, anybody's guess.
       There is NO question in my mind that having English as your primary
language, the one you learned first and use all the time, is a huge
advantage in publishing science papers over those who don't.  A second
language is much more difficult to learn, and rarely can a person get
really good at it.  Many if not most native English speakers, including
myself, struggle their entire lifetimes to try to get good at writing it.
We learn to speak it when we are young, but struggle our whole life to
learn to write it well.  Is it fair to all the people who don't have
English as their first language to require them to write science papers in
English?  Surely not fair.  Legally, no one is required to do so, as far as
I know.  You can publish in whatever language you want, if you can find a
journal that publishes in that language.  So, do it!  Publish in your own
language.  But people don't.  Why not?  People decide what language to
publish in, likely based on what they can do, and the natural incentives.
You have many more readers if you publish in English.  Even within a
country like India which has a huge number of languages, it is to your
advantage to publish in a language which as many people as possible can
read.  In India's case, that's English I bet.  People choose of their
volition to do that.  It isn't some vast conspiracy of publishers to
victimize people who speak other languages.  You simply can communicate
with more people if you do use English.  And authors all want more people
to read what they wrote.  A natural motivation.  Is it fair that the
language of Science is English and not Mandarin?
       At this point, many more people can read enough English to
understand scientific articles than can write in good English for
journals.  Computer translations are available free on the web, and are
good enough to understand an article (probably), but are unlikely to be
good enough to translate text from another language into English well
enough to be published.  Some humans can do it, it is not a common skill,
languages are incredibly complicated which is why online translations are
not excellent, it takes too much computing power and probably is too slow.
Humans do better.  But that's real work, and a very valuable skill, so they
can charge for it, and that is only fair.  That doesn't leave authors of
other languages a lot of good options.  Trying to get volunteer help from a
friend or colleague might not be too easy, depending on how much text must
be worked on.  I helped Yuri Latipov with his coral taxonomy writings,
because I wanted to be able to read them, and I can't read Russian.  He got
them translated into English by translators there in Russia, but when I
looked at the English translation I could see it needed a lot of
improvement.  I found that trying to improve the English was hard work,
it's not easy, and I gave up before it was really good.  I often understood
the meaning of what was being said, and could tell it wasn't good English,
but it was very difficult to make it into good English.
       If anybody knows a better language to have science in, go for it.
No law against it.  But you'll find you have fewer readers, and few if any
authors are willing to publish in something that isn't read.  Unless they
want to get a higher salary and promotions and they know that the people
giving those out don't know the difference between a predatory journal and
a legit journal.
       By the way, I've never had a journal or editor tell me not to
correct English in an article I review, except one journal that told me
that they had their own professional editors that would do that, so don't
waste your time doing it.  Legit journals certainly have some grammatical
and other errors in them.  But I've read a lot of journal articles and
never read a single article in a legit journal that I can remember that had
a "lot" of such errors.  Nothing close to the number in things written by
some people publishing in predatory journals.  Not close.  Again, neither a
crime nor something to look down the nose at.  But not good for the
journal, and not good for science.  You need to be sure what the author is
saying, and with poor English you often aren't.
        I think it would be hard to find anyone in higher education that
would say a "glut" of money is going into higher education.  That said, it
was said many decades ago that Harvard University had a larger endowment
than many countries' whole economies.  I wonder if they worry about whether
that is ethical.  The cost of education has been rising in the US much
faster than inflation.  As has the cost of health care.  That's not
sustainable.  And it doesn't help increase the education of the public.
High journal prices have been a major problem for large university
libraries.  Indeed, journals have a monopoly on the information contained
within them, and publishers know that.  Monopolies lead to charging what
the traffic will bear, sometimes called "gouging".  Society journals are an
outstanding exception, prominently including the journal published by the
International Coral Reef Society.  Join!
      Beall no longer keeps his list of predatory journals online.  From
what I've read, the publishers of journals on that list harassed him so
much he quit.  Read some of the articles I've pointed to, I've never read
any of them saying that his list was due to bias.  Others have taken it up
and put their lists online.  The fact is, most of us don't know which
journals are predatory, there are now so many predatory journals, and they
do a great job of imitating legit journals.  Most criminals do not want to
get caught, and some are experts at hiding and looking innocent.  You can
be sure they don't want anyone "outing" them by publishing a list of
predatory journals that lists their journal.  Bad for business.  But the
lists do science a favor, we need to know which journals are legitimate and
which are predatory (which actually have peer review and which don't and
will publish anything for a price).
          Cheers, Doug

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:26 AM Nick Wehner via Coral-List <

> [...]
> > not capable of writing that, it is surely plagiarized from somewhere.
> >
> > *Siderastrea radians*.  Another report of a Caribbean species which is
> NOT
> > in the Indo-Pacific.  The picture is certainly not this species, looks
> like
> > it might be *Coeloseris mayeri*.  The description is plagiarized from
> Veron
> > (2000).
> >
> > *Psammocora obtusangulata*.   The first sentence and at least 3 other
> > sentences were plagiarized from Veron (2000), the other sentences were
> > plagiarized from Veron and Pichon (1976)’s description of *Psammocora
> > contingua*.  That’s creative, plagiarize descriptions of two different
> > species and put them together.
> >
> > *Cantharellus doederleini*.  The description was plagiarized from Veron
> > (2000).
> >
> > *Acanthastrea maxima*.  The photo appears to be *Scolymia vitiensis* (now
> > called *Parascolymia vitiensis*).  The description was plagiarized from
> > Veron (2000).
> >
> > *Scolymia cubensis*.  Another report of a Caribbean species which is NOT
> in
> > the Indo-Pacific.  The description was plagiarized from Veron (2000).
> The
> > photo may be *Scolymia australis*.
> >
> > *Echinomorpha nishihirai*.  The photo is not this species.  The
> description
> > was plagiarized from Veron (2000).
> >
> > *Goniopora eclipsensis*.  The photo is not this species.  The photo
> shows a
> > flat colony, the description says small branching cylindrical columns.
> Did
> > the authors not notice this difference or did they think that the tall
> > (unbranching) polyps were “cylindrical columns”??  Either way indicates
> > incompetence.  The description was plagiarized from Veron (2000).
> >
> > *Gonipora fruiticosa*.  Unrecognizable photo.  The description was
> > plagiarized from Veron (2000).
> >
> > *Pocillopora elegans*.  The first two sentences were plagiarized from
> Veron
> > (2000).
> >

> > Douglas Fenner
> > Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
> > NOAA Fisheries Service
> > Pacific Islands Regional Office
> > Honolulu
> > and:
> > Consultant
> > PO Box 7390
> > Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA
> >
> > Global warming will happen faster than we think.
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07586-5
> >
> > Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact,
> analysis
> > finds
> >

> http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903
> >
> > Climate change poses major threat to the US, new government report

How to win public support for a global carbon tax

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00124-x