[Coral-List] effect of sunscreen on corals

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:38:36 UTC 2019

Good point!  Many or most coral eggs float so they would be in the surface
microlayer, slicks of coral eggs on the surface on the Great Barrier Reef
are large enough you can follow them for a while from airplanes.  I would
guess that sunscreens float, but I don't know.  But most areas small enough
to be contaminated significantly by sunscreens are not very likely to be
self-seeding, especially for the majority of corals that are broadcast
spawners.  Still would be an impact on overall coral reproduction, though
given that the areas that have large numbers of tourists with sunscreen in
the water are minute compared to the world reef area, especially in the
Indo-Pacific, which of course is most of the world's reefs, the effect
would be pretty small, probably difficult to measure I would guess.  Maybe
higher in an area like the Caribbean where tourism is large on many islands.
Cheers,  Doug