[Coral-List] effect of sunscreen on corals

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 14:08:10 UTC 2019

Dear Doug & Mike,

Thanks for bringing attention to this multifaceted issue!

There sure has been a lot of attention brought on to the the plight of coral reefs as a result, but perhaps it needs to be fine-tuned. As Mike says, it would probably be best to simply avoid sunscreens containing oxybenzone. So what’s the rub? The problem as I see it is context. The way the issue has been portrayed in the media can give people the impression that eliminating harmful sunscreens will, in and of itself, bring health and vitality back to coral reefs. For example, the scuba diving industry has enthusiastically embraced the call for awareness of this issue taking pains to describe the harm that can be done. The word is getting out and the message is clearly noted, so what’s the problem? I think the scientific community would agree that it would be more helpful and constructive if the diving industry (as well as the community of nations and states) would apply at least an equal dose of enthusiasm to confronting the other, dare I say, more significant stressors on the block like climate change, over-fishing and land-based pollutants.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad