[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] Re: Sunscreen & coral

Bargar, Timothy tbargar at usgs.gov
Thu Feb 14 17:40:30 UTC 2019

Sorry to post with the thread attached.....

Joe obviously spent a lot of time composing what Mike posted.  I think he
got across the point that at least some of the UV filters are toxic to
organisms (terrestrial and aquatic).

One of the greatest uncertainties in toxicology is estimating toxicity in
an untested species based on response of a tested species.  Much of what
Joe posted are results for studies done on species other than corals.  How
do risk assessors account for the interspecies uncertainty?  They apply
safety factors to the toxicity data (see one of the He et al. papers that
Kurt cited for how safety factors are applied).  Not the most ideal
solution, but it is what is done in the absence of better data and is an
accepted method by regulatory agencies.  BTW, He et al. determined moderate
to high risk for corals exposed to some of the active ingredients.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Risk, Michael via Coral-List <

> Dear listers:
>
> Joseph DiNardo is a retired chemist/toxicologist who has a peripheral
> interest in this matter. He was made aware of some recent exchanges, and
> has asked me to post the following (which means, don't take it up with me,
> but with Joe):
>
> As a retired toxicologist with 43 years experience in the personal care
> industry who has also formulated dozens of sunscreen products and tested at
> least a 100 or so and who was part of providing data to the Food & Drug
> Administration (FDA) for the sunscreen monograph in the late 70’s … when
> oxybenzone and octinoxate were first  approved for human use based on, at
> best, sparse data that was submitted by industry who is now selling $10
> BILLION a year globally compared to what we know today about these
> pseudo-persistent organic pollutants and endocrine disrupting chemicals … I
> would like to take a shot at explaining the current state of affairs
> associated with why Oxybenzone and Octinoxate are being banned.
>
> First lets look at a very brief overview of aquatic toxicity reported in
> the peer-review literature for these substances (only the lead authors are
> noted in bold face print):
>
> Octinoxate: demonstrates a variety of toxic effects (including mortality)
> to aquatic life, including but not limited to algae, crustaceans, sea
> urchins, bivalves, coral, and a variety of fish species (Bachelot, BASF,
> Brausch, Christen, Cunha, Fent, Inui, Kaiser, Kunz, Molins-Delgado, Ozaez,
> Paredes, Sang, Schreurs and Zucchi). The combined toxicity of octinoxate
> and oxybenzone in planktonic crustaceans was higher than the estimated EC50
> (levels that cause death) for either chemical alone, suggesting that these
> results may be due to a synergistic effect of the UV-filters(Jang). In
> coral, it can cause bleaching, DNA damage, embryonic deformity, and
> mortality at levels in the parts per billion (Danovaro, He).
>
> Oxybenzone:demonstrates a variety of toxic (including mortality) and
> endocrine disruption reactions to aquatic bacteria, microalgae, sea grass,
> planktonic crustaceans, harlequin fly, sea urchins, shrimp, bivalves and a
> variety of fish species (Paredes, Liu, Chen F, Corinaldesi, Mao, Braush,
> Balazs). In coral, it can cause bleaching, DNA damage, embryonic deformity,
> mortality, and skeletal endocrine disruption at levels in the parts per
> trillion (Downs, Danovaro, He, Tsui).It has been shown to be a notorious
> endocrine disruptor in fish with adult and juvenile males becoming
> feminized/developing egg proteins; reducing mature spermatozoa in
> testicular tissues, decreases aggressive behavior in Siamese fighting fish
> and reduces the number of eggs produce in females (Bluthgen, Kunz,
> Kinnberg, Rodriguez, Chen T, Schreurs, Coronado).  Additionally, Spanish
> scientists looking at the eggs of migratory/predatory birds that eat fish
> (western marsh harrier, common kestrel, white stork, slender-billed gull,
> [...]

Tim Bargar, Ph.D.
Research Ecotoxicologist
The USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center
7920 NW 71st Street
Gainesville, Florida 32653
T - (352) 264-3520
F - (352) 378-4956