[Coral-List] Sunscreen & coral

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:07:44 UTC 2019

    Mike,
    I have the same thought about high-value reefs that have large numbers
of tourists wearing sunscreen on them, they are the most likely to be
affected by higher concentrations of these chemicals.  Whether corals will
be affected or not will likely depend on what the concentrations are, if
they are below the thresholds for effects on corals there will be little or
no effects, if above, there will be effects.  Critical question is whether
concentrations above threshold are common or not.  For sewage, that may
depend on how it enters the ocean, how concentrated, and so on.
    I'm glad to see that you think that statements that sunscreen chemicals
cause mass coral bleaching events are ridiculous.  Does that include the
statement on Craig Downs' website, which continues to be on his website,
that "Chemicals in sunscreen that come off while swimming or travel through
sewage systems when washed off in the shower are “bigger than climate
change,” in causing coral reef damage, according to Craig Downs, "?
"
http://haereticus-lab.org/most-sunscreens-can-harm-coral-reefs-what-should-travelers-do/
Such statements fuel the public's view that these ridiculous statements are
true and that sunscreens ARE documented to be a huge problem for corals.
Yet, as I stated, I know of no hard evidence a single coral in the ocean
has been killed by them.  It may be true that Downs did not say that, in
which case he has put a statement he knows is incorrect on his website.  No
wonder so many people think it is such a  big deal, even though there is no
hard evidence it is killing lots of corals.
      Cheers,  Doug

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:58 AM Risk, Michael via Coral-List <

> Thank you for that, Kurt.
> I think you are being far too modest. Readers may wish to know that you
> are a plant physiologist, Product Protection Deputy director of Johnson &
> Johnson, especially their sunscreens.
>
> On another note: there have been several time-wasting posts on this
> subject, and I am sure we are all waiting for a real expert to chime in. I
> wish to respect Craig Downs' privacy, but he is in the middle of a fairly
> serious health issue and has bigger fish to fry. Some may be interested in
> a previous statement of his:
>
> "I would like to “put to bed” an issue that every single cosmetic company
> has asked me thus far.  The statement is part of a fallacious “strawman”
> argument.
>
> ·         “Oxybenzone threatens every coral reef in the world.”  A
> modification of this statement is “oxybenzone causes global or mass coral
> bleaching events”.  It is easy to make this strawman argument, but it is
> also easy to quickly show the ridiculousness of the statement.  What I have
> always said in public is that oxybenzone most likely threatens coral reefs
> that matter most to the bulk of people in different countries/society –
> reefs near where people live and visit them.  Reefs important to tourism,
> provide food, sustain real estate values, etc.  Environmental contamination
> happens at least two ways on coral reefs, either by (1) swimmers, and/or
> (2) sewage.  So wherever there are people, especially societies that use
> sunscreen protection products, there is the possibility of
> contamination/pollution.  Reefs surrounding remote, uninhabited islands
> wouldn’t be expected to be exposed to oxybenzone."
>
> Email to Jim Hendee and Kurt Reynertson, Feb 2017.

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

How to win public support for a global carbon tax

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00124-x

Global warming will happen faster than we think.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07586-5

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903