[Coral-List] Sunscreen & Coral

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 21 00:56:16 UTC 2019

Steve, thanks for your kind words, and-I agree, there seems to be a problem here.

There are two interconnected issues here. No, three. First of all, to the eternal shame of the coral reef biological community, there has been general failure to recognise the threat oxybenzone sunscreens pose, and to advocate their ban. I do not see scientific hesitancy here, I see turf-guarding. There is no manger so large that a small dog won't claim all of it.

Second, there is the gee-whizz aspect of the "new threat", which makes for great media coverage. The media are not the "enemy of the people", to quote one of your statesmen, but they enjoy bright shiny things. We should rejoice in this coverage, because for the first time ever-let me repeat this-for the first time ever, we have the ability to shut off a coral stressor. I don't see this as a huge problem. Many of us have been 5-minute media sensations...it passes.

Third-and I guess this is the nub of your position-local managers may ban sunscreen and declare victory. There is no doubt they do this. Even after there was overwhelming proof of human impact on the reefs of the Florida keys, management kept blaming "global change." They were able to get away with this because reef biologists did not rise up with one voice and say NONSENSE. So I think you are right in fingering this problem, and wrong about the culprits.

I mean, what are the sunscreen savants supposed to do? Not talk to the media? Not publish??

The focus on larger threats, I feel, can only be maintained by scientists NOT involved with the sunscreen work agreeing that...I hate repeating myself...we should ban the *** things and move on.

Mike