[Coral-List] Sunscreen & Coral

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 14:48:02 UTC 2019

Dear Mike,

I can’t speak to all the motives at play,  but considering the wide range of claims that have been made relating to the threats that oxybenzone sunscreens pose, isn't some level of scientific hesitancy called for?  I thought that was how science worked.  If the coral reef biological community is to endorse a ban, shouldn’t they first be confident that the related assertions have been thoroughly vetted and confirmed? In this sense, I’m just wondering if it is possible that some of the more far reaching contentions put forth are in fact working to harm the prospects for reaching a loud and clear consensus on this issue.

You say that we should rejoice in the media coverage and I agree, but I would argue that researchers behind this effort have some level of responsibility to see that the information being disseminated is accurate and that the issue is being framed in the proper context. If I were a scientist who was involved, I would be alarmed if my work was somehow being misrepresented or distorted by media sources in any way. After all, this is science and I would think that its efficacy could only be damaged by any and all assertions that could be construed as overstatement or sensationalism.

As for managers banning sunscreens and claiming victory, this is not exactly my concern. I just found it curious that some special interests were apparently finding the science behind a sunscreen ban to be more compelling than the breadth of science that has been published pointing to the significant threats to coral reefs brought about by other forms of pollution, over-fishing and climate change. Why are they so quick to accept these particular findings? Seems to me that the preponderance of science-based evidence would dictate a different approach.

So, what should the “sunscreen savants” do? I would humbly suggest that they continue to publish their work and talk to the media, but also allow for the rigors of peer review while taking steps to assure that their findings are presented in an accurate way. While I agree that it would be great if for the first time ever we succeed in shutting off a coral stressor, it would be even better to do so with a level of transparency that would help set the stage for even more significant and meaningful actions that we can all agree are long overdue.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad