[Coral-List] (no subject)

James Guest jrguest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 21:59:24 UTC 2019

Dear coral-list,

I wanted to draw your attention to a fully funded (fees, stipend, and
research budget) PhD opportunity under the One Planet Doctoral Training
Program (DTP) based at Newcastle University. The full funding is available
to UK applicants, or EU applicants resident in UK for past 3 years.

Picking climate change winners for assisted gene flow interventions (OP1953)
https://research.ncl.ac.uk/one-planet/studentships/anthropocene/

As part of a 5-year ERC funded project (Coralassist) we are identifying
variation in heat resistance within populations of corals in Palau,
Micronesia using thermal stress trials. We are examining whether
selectively bred corals can be translocated to reefs in sufficiently large
numbers and whether heat resistance is heritable. Using cutting edge
proteomics we are identifying underlying causes of variation in heat
resistance. The aim of this project is to develop tolerance indicators for
corals as it relates to protein abundance with the ultimate goal of
developing markers to identify tolerant genotypes for AGF programmes
without the need for heat stress trials. The supervisory team will include
Dr James Guest (Newcastle University, UK), Prof. John Bythell ( Newcastle
University, UK), and Dr Holly East(Northumbria University. UK).

The deadline for applications is Thursday 31st January 2019, with interviews
due to take place by Skype on the 25th February. The outcome of awards will
be confirmed in March 2019. More details about the application process can
be found on the One Planet DTP website:
https://research.ncl.ac.uk/one-planet/.

We strongly encourage potential applicants to contact us directly before
submitting an application.

I would be very grateful if you could circulate these opportunities to
relevant potential applicants, for example current or recent Masters
students.

Best wishes,

James, John and Holly
--
*James R. Guest, PhD, **ERC Research Fellow*

*School of Natural and Environmental Sciences*

*4th floor, Ridley Building 2Newcastle UniversityNewcastle upon TyneNE1
7RUUnited Kingdom*

Email: jrguest at gmail.com
Twitter: @jr_guest
University profile page: