[Coral-List] Over population

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:59:30 UTC 2019

Maybe its time to face facts instead of nameless people who crunch numbers
and come up with the results that they and you want.  Maybe nobody wants to
publish his article because it is not good science and has things wrong
with it that if he changed it wouldn't lead to the results he and you
want.  That's why almost all denier articles get rejected by peer-reviewed
journals.
     There is more than enough building roof area in the USA that if it was
all covered with solar cells it would produce enough electricity for all
the the country's electric needs.  No need to cover farm fields.  There are
new paints and materials that if put on roofs that don't have solar cells
can reflect more and cool buildings.  Not all building roofs will be
covered with solar cells.  Germany has loads of solar cell installations on
farms, and the farming is still done around and under them.  Doesn't slow
cows down grazing on grass under them.  Farmers use it to supplement their
income.  No conflict between farming and solar installations.  Besides, the
US has vast desert areas in the west that are not farm land, many orders of
magnitude larger than all of the building area in the country, where there
would be no conflict with agriculture.
     I am willing to bet that most readers of coral-list don't know what
you mean by Soylent.  People can look it up, but it is a service to readers
to define terms like this, abbreviations, and acronyms.
Cheers, Doug

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 2:38 AM Eugene Shinn via Coral-List <

> Alina, You did it again. This time I decided to reply on the list. You
> certainly have raised the stakes for survival.I suspect it is worse than
> the picture you have painted. I spend some time with an oceanographer
> who has looked at the solar panel situation. He even wrote a paper no
> one wants to publish. He was flying and looking down at those black
> areas on peoples houses and began to worry. Black areas absorb radiation
> and emit heat. What if we all had solar panel roofs and then replace
> agricultural areas with solar panels. How hot would planet Earth
> become?According to my oceanographer friend who crunched the numbers it
> becomes a loosing situation. Just something to think about. Maybe it is
> time for Soylent
>
> Green Gene
>
> --
>

> No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
> ------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
> E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor
> University of South Florida
> College of Marine Science Room 221A
> 140 Seventh Avenue South
> St. Petersburg, FL 33701
> <eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu>
> Tel 727 553-1158

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change

Want a Green New Deal?  Here's a better one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-a-green-new-deal-heres-a-better-one/2019/02/24/2d7e491c-36d2-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.a3fc8337cbf8