[Coral-List] Measuring bioerosion rate in a marginal coral reef habitat

Mohammad Reza Shokri m_shokri at sbu.ac.ir
Tue Jul 9 16:30:28 UTC 2019

Dear Coral-List members,

We are launching a Ph.D. research looking at the effect of salinity and temperate increase on the bioerosion rates in coral reefs in the northern Persian Gulf. In doing so, artificial and natural blocks will be submerged over a gradient of salinity and temperature where hypersaline water from the desalination plant discharge into the sea. We are planning to use two types of natural and artificial blocks including (1) natural blocks by segmenting dead massive corals (e.g., Platygyra sp.); and (2) artificial blocks made of carbonate calcium.

But wonder how to make artificial blocks that need to be identical to natural blocks in terms of porosity and texture. Can we use crushed dead corals that have been blocked by a glue? If yes? What type of glue?

Wondering if anyone has experience in making such artificial blocks.

Best regards

Mohammad

Mohammad Reza Shokri
Assistant Professor
Marine Ecology and Conservation
Faculty of Life Sciences and Biotechnology
Shahid Beheshti University
Zip Code:1983969411
Evin, Tehran, I.R. Iran
Office phone: +98-21-2990 2723