[Coral-List] Sponge roles and dynamics at ICRS 2020, Abstract Call

Janie Wulff wulff at bio.fsu.edu
Tue Jul 9 18:10:48 UTC 2019

We are pleased to announce a session focused on sponges at the next
International Coral Reef Symposium, June 2020.The title of the session
is /“Sponges on coral reefs: how can we reconcile contradictory reports
on controls, population and community dynamics, and functional roles?“/
(included in Theme #11: Resilience, phase shifts, and novel
ecosystems”). Abstracts for talks and posters are open from 1 July to 1
September, and the ICRS website for abstract submission is
www.icrs2020.de <http://www.icrs2020.de>.

Session description: “Controversy over sponge functional roles and how
sponge populations are controlled on coral reefs has become polarized
and, given the many key roles played by sponges, it seems important to
see how we can reconcile contrasting views of sponge influences and
dynamics. Contrasting reports that: a) sponges are overwhelming corals
and reefs vs. suffering mass mortalities; b) sponges are controlled by
spongivores vs. by picoplankton and nutrient availability; and c) sponge
effects on corals are damaging vs. enhancing, result in opposing
conclusions that impede clear predictions of future states. Potentially
profound reciprocal influences of sponges and the water column on each
other, as well as of sponges and corals on each other, impel increased
attention to focused studies of sponge ecology. Sponges must also be
added to monitoring, conservation, restoration, and management plans,
but the most useful and efficient ways to do this require thoughtful
conversation, as standard coral reef techniques must be modified to take
into account how sponges differ from corals, i.e., an order of magnitude
greater species diversity, living tissue throughout their 3-dimensional
bodies, disintegrating upon death rather than leaving behind a skeleton,
capable of inhabiting cryptic spaces where evaluation is difficult, and
playing a greater variety of ecosystem functional roles. We hope to
facilitate movement from polarized debate to discussion of circumstances
under which contrasting results are obtained. Are contrasting reports
due to focus on different species? generalization from too few or
unusual species?different metrics and techniques used? field sites
varying in key aspects? temporal and spatial scales dissimilar?We will
provide a forum for presentation and discussion of new data to address
the balance between bottom-up vs. top-down controls on sponges, positive
vs. negative functional roles of sponges, and increasing vs. decreasing
populations of sponges.”

Please feel free to write to us with any questions you may have.We look
forward to seeing you there!

Best wishes,

Janie Wulff

Christine Schoenberg