[Coral-List] Measuring bioerosion rate in a marginal coral reef habitat

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Jul 11 01:12:47 UTC 2019

Mohammad:

Generally, your will work best if you use blocks of dead coral that are the
same species as those you are interested in understanding. As you are
aware, artificial substrates are the compromise we have to make to
constrain the timing over which total bioerosion has accumulated (i.e.,
rate). There are some questions about how a block of dead local coral will
be bioeroded relative to adjacent coral surfaces that have died and are
still part of the reef edifice you are modeling. We have just completed a
study that uses samples collected from a long-term monitoring site for
which we can constrain the time of death without resorting to what I have
referred to "limestone on a stick" experiments. However, practicality
demands that, for the most part, we have to accept this unknown.

Best,

Dennis

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM Mohammad Reza Shokri via Coral-List <