[Coral-List] coral reefs shifting away from the equator

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Jul 11 23:20:14 UTC 2019

This also happened in the Cetaceous when super-molluscs (rudists) took over
and corals moved to the sub-tropics. The good news for reefs was that a
giant asteroid hit near Alacran and wiped everything out, including the
offending agents of corals' relegation to the suburbs.

But, the reefs came back to become the reef systems we are presently
mourning. Can we possibly raise the ante on this one and create a scenario
in which reefs won't come back? To paraphrase George Carlin in a way that
is suitable for the list-serve, "the planet will do fine; we're the ones on
the way out - like fleas on dogs". I'm not arguing that we shouldn't worry
about our impacts (hopefully we have more cognitive power than fleas).
However, we'll get ours in the end and reefs have survived worse - if
geologic history tells us anything.

Dennis

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <