[Coral-List] Do corals and their endosymbionts uptake nitrate in the dark ?

stephane roberty roberty_stephane at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 09:20:13 UTC 2019

Dear coral aficionados,

I checked the literature, even the very old from the 70-80's ;-), but I was unable to find the answer to the following question:  do corals and/or their endosymbionts uptake nitrate in the dark?

So does someone on the list has ever measured the uptake of NO3 by corals and/or their endosymbionts (in hospite or in culture) in the dark or during the night?

If yes, what were the results compared to the light period and to the ammonium uptake rates?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,

Stephane Roberty